Thursday, October 6, 2011

hog2

After the failure of the first attempt using the 2 piece mold for "delta hog", I have received a lot of useful information and advice from a few friendly members of www.tackleunderground.com and my co-worker and friend Dirk H. I have tried to incorporate the information I received and some of injection molding principles that I have learned over the years into a the next mold I will build. 

Included in the changes I have made to the new design, I scaled the overall size of the worm up by 25%, which increased the overall length from approximately 4 inches to just a little over 6 inches, as well as all the other features of the worm. I changed the design of the "legs" on this worm too, I basically changed it from a straight leg to more of a willow leaf shape. I also added vents to all features of the worm that will let air that is trapped in the cavity when the mold is closed, escape during the filling of the mold. Redesigning the "runner" to fill the mold was based on a hand injector that I will be using for the plastic. I am in the market for a proper aluminum hand injector, but they seem a bit expensive for what they are. I am hoping to design and build my own injector in the near future, but for now I think the one I have will work at least for testing. I still would like to build this mold out of clear acrylic, so that I could visually seem whats really going on. 

I am very hopeful this time I will be able to mold the Delta hog successfully and get some out in the water and to some of my friends for testing. Also feel free, to comment, give advice, at anytime, I have still learning here and appreciate any information.





No comments:

Post a Comment