Monday, September 26, 2011

Messing with colors

Although I have a new worm design, and a new 2 piece mold design in the works, I have not been able to get anything done on it this week. My real job got in the way this weekend, and while priorities are priorities I hope to get some work done on that next week.

As far as the new design goes, I added "runner" or a way to better fill the cavity with plastic. I also have incorporated some venting from the cavity to the outside of the mold to allow air to escape during the filling of the cavity. Some other processes that I plan to test out with be pee heating the mold to allow for better flow of the plastic during pouring, but thus will only benefit if the mold is made from aluminum, so this will have to wait since the next testing will be done with acrylic mold material.

So, I decided to try and do some testing today with the existing molds that I have and tried to figure the best temperature to keep the plastisol at for the best pouring results possible. I used a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature and continued to raise the temp. until the plastic was at it's optimum viscosity. This turns out to be around 325 degrees F. I also decided to start out on the lighter side with the colors. I used only a few drops of brown and a few drops of green along with gold and black flake.

Overall I am pleased with the results for today. The plastisol stay very liquid the whole time I was pouring, the colors turned out more realistic than before. I learned to be a little more patient when pouring, before u was a little rushed because I was concerned that it would cool to quickly, but this was not the case.

I learned a few things today and can't wait to get a new mold completed, and get some Bass Magnet Baits "Delta Hog" worms into the waters of the California Delta.





No comments:

Post a Comment